Current:Home > MyMan known as "Dirty Harry" arrested 2 years after family of 4 froze to death trying to enter U.S. from Canada -MacroWatch
Man known as "Dirty Harry" arrested 2 years after family of 4 froze to death trying to enter U.S. from Canada
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:46:52
A 28-year-old man accused of recruiting the driver in a human smuggling operation has been arrested, more than two years after a family of four from India froze to death trying to enter the U.S. from Canada, authorities said.
Harshkumar Ramanlal Patel — who officials say was also known as "Dirty Harry" — was arrested Wednesday in Chicago on human smuggling charges stemming from a warrant issued in September.
Patel allegedly hired Steve Shand of Deltona, Florida, to drive migrants from the Canadian border to the Chicago area. Shand, who allegedly told authorities Patel paid him a total of $25,000 to make five such trips in December 2021 and January 2022, has pleaded not guilty to human smuggling charges and awaits trial on March 25.
Patel's attorney, Michael Leonard, said Monday that so far he's been told very little about the allegations.
"Based upon the fact that, at this point, we have been provided with nothing more than accusations in the form of a Criminal Complaint that recites hearsay statements, we are not in a position to legitimately evaluate the Government's allegations," Leonard said in a statement to The Associated Press.
Shand was at the wheel of a 15-passenger van stopped by the U.S. Border Patrol in North Dakota, just south of the Canadian border, on Jan. 19, 2022. Authorities spotted five other people in the snow nearby. All Indian nationals, they told officers they'd been walking for more than 11 hours in frigid blizzard conditions, a complaint in Shand's case said.
One of the men was carrying a backpack that had supplies for a small child in it, and told officers it belonged to a family who had become separated from the group overnight. Canadian Mounties began a search and found three bodies together - a man, a woman and a young child - just 30 feet from the border near Emerson, Manitoba, which is on the Red River that separates North Dakota from Minnesota. A second child was found a short distance away. All apparently died from exposure.
Minnesota was under a wind chill advisory when the incident occurred, CBS Minnesota reported after the deaths were reported. During that time, feels-like temperatures in northern Minnesota were as cold as 29 degrees below zero.
The migrant with the backpack told authorities he had paid the equivalent of $87,000 in U.S. money to an organization in India to set up the move, according to a federal complaint from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Federal prosecutors believe Harshkumar Patel organized the smuggling operation. The victims were identified as Jagdish and Vaishaliben Patel and their children, 11-year-old Vihangi and 3-year-old Dharmik.
It wasn't immediately clear if the family was related to Harshkumar Patel, a common name in India. The CBC reported that officials say Patel used at least five aliases, including "Dirty Harry."
Federal authorities believe Patel himself entered the U.S. illegally in 2018 after he had been refused a U.S. visa at least five times, the complaint said. Shand told investigators that Patel operates a gambling business in Orange City, Florida, and that he knew him because he gambled there and operated a taxi business that took people there.
The complaint cited cellphone records indicating hundreds of communications between Shand and Patel to work out logistics for illegal trafficking. One text message from Shand to Patel on Jan. 19, 2022, stated, "Make sure everyone is dressed for blizzard conditions please."
Last year police said they arrested three alleged black-market immigration agents in western India in connection with the case.
- In:
- Minnesota
- Smuggling
- Canada
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Remember that viral Willy Wonka immersive experience fail? It's getting turned into a musical.
- Geno Auriemma signs 5-year extension to continue run as UConn women's basketball coach
- A tranquilized black bear takes a dive from a tree, falls into a waiting tarp
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- When does 'Love Island UK' Season 11 release in the US? Premiere date, cast, where to watch
- Can you hear me now? Verizon network outage in Midwest, West is now resolved, company says
- Watch Live: Attorney general, FBI director face Congress amid rising political and international tensions
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Lakers head coaching rumors: Latest on JJ Reddick and James Borrego as LA looks for coach
Ranking
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Novak Djokovic Withdraws From French Open After Suffering Knee Injury
- With GOP maps out, Democrats hope for more legislative power in battleground Wisconsin
- AT&T resolves service issue reported across US
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Former prosecutor settles lawsuit against Netflix over Central Park Five series
- Biden's new immigration order restricts asylum claims along the border. Here's how it works.
- Geno Auriemma signs 5-year extension to continue run as UConn women's basketball coach
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Shohei Ohtani's former interpreter pleads guilty to two counts of fraud
Review: 'Bad Boys' Will Smith, Martin Lawrence are still 'Ride or Die' in rousing new film
Ex-husband of ‘Real Housewives’ star convicted of hiring mobster to assault her boyfriend
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Carrie Underwood Shares Glimpse at Best Day With 5-Year-Old Son Jacob
Gerry Turner Confirms What Kendall Jenner Saw on His Phone That She Shouldn't Have
Now that the fight with DeSantis appointees has ended, Disney set to invest $17B in Florida parks