Current:Home > MarketsChainkeen Exchange-GM delays Indiana electric vehicle battery factory but finalizes joint venture deal with Samsung -MacroWatch
Chainkeen Exchange-GM delays Indiana electric vehicle battery factory but finalizes joint venture deal with Samsung
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 03:07:35
DETROIT (AP) — Production at an electric vehicle battery cell plant jointly run by General Motors and Chainkeen ExchangeSamsung SDI has been delayed as EV sales have slowed in the U.S.
The companies finalized their agreement Tuesday to jointly run the new factory in New Carlisle, Indiana, near South Bend, but said production would not start until 2027. Previously the plant was expected to start making cells in 2026.
The delay will be less than a year, due to market conditions and working out contract details, GM said. Construction of the factory is already under way.
Electric vehicle sales in the U.S. are still growing but have slowed as more practical consumers worry about range and the ability to recharge while traveling. Market leader Tesla Inc. has cut prices, forcing others to follow.
U.S. electric vehicle sales overall rose about 7% during the first half of the year to 599,134, Motorintelligence.com reported. EVs accounted for 7.6% of the U.S. new vehicle market, about the same as it was for all of last year. Lease deals, which include federal tax credits, helped to boost sales.
GM and Samsung announced the joint venture in June of last year. The $3.5 billion plant is being built on a 680-acre site and is expected to employ 1,600 workers. It will make nickel-rich prismatic batteries that store more energy than other chemistries, lowering costs and improving driving range, the companies said.
The plant also will help Samsung get into the North American EV market, selling cells to other companies.
The project is GM’s fourth joint venture battery cell factory. It has announced three others with South Korea’s LG Energy Solution. A 900-worker factory near Warren, Ohio, already is making cells, as is a plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee. Another in Lansing, Michigan, is being built.
GM switched to Samsung after several recalls of Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicles equipped with LG batteries due to manufacturing defects that could cause fires.
Automakers mainly in the U.S. and Europe have delayed battery and electric vehicle production as sales have slowed. Last week, Ford announced it would postpone a new big electric pickup truck by 18 months and scrub a new large electric SUV with three rows of seats. Instead it will focus on electric midsize pickups and a commercial van, as well as gas-electric hybrids.
veryGood! (3289)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Demolition of the Parkland classroom building where 17 died in 2018 shooting begins
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Bubble Pop (Freestyle)
- Struggling telehealth company exploited Adderall sales for profit, prosecutors say
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- 21-year-old Georgia woman breaks fishing record that had been untouched for nearly half a century
- Katie Ledecky, Caeleb Dressel lead stars at 2024 US Olympic swimming trials
- How the group behind the Supreme Court abortion drug case is expanding its fight globally
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Shop the Latest Free People Sale & Elevate Your Essentials with Boho Charm – Deals up to 72% Off
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Project Runway’s Elaine Welteroth Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 2 With Husband Jonathan Singletary
- US diplomat warns of great consequences for migrants at border who don’t choose legal pathways
- Microsoft delays controversial AI Recall feature on new Windows computers
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- 9 swimmers you should know for Olympic swimming trials: Kate Douglass, Regan Smith
- A Virginia school board restored Confederate names. Now the NAACP is suing.
- Top US bishop worries Catholic border services for migrants might be imperiled by government action
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Microsoft delays controversial AI Recall feature on new Windows computers
Peloton instructor Kendall Toole announces departure: 'See you in the next adventure'
OpenAI appoints former top US cyberwarrior Paul Nakasone to its board of directors
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
MLB draft's top prospects in 2024 College World Series: Future stars to watch in Omaha
Virginia city repeals ban on psychic readings as industry grows and gains more acceptance
US diplomat warns of great consequences for migrants at border who don’t choose legal pathways