Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Appeal arguments are set on an order limiting Biden administration communications with social media -MacroWatch
Charles H. Sloan-Appeal arguments are set on an order limiting Biden administration communications with social media
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 23:22:40
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Biden administration attorneys were set to ask appellate court judges in New Orleans on Charles H. SloanThursday to block a Louisiana-based federal judge’s broad order limiting executive branch officials and agencies’ communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty of Monroe issued the order last month in a lawsuit brought by Republican attorneys general in Louisiana and Missouri, who will be asking the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of appeals to uphold the order. Plaintiffs also include a conservative website owner and four individual critics of government COVID-19 policies.
Critics of the ruling say it could hamper attempts to squelch misinformation on topics such as public health and elections. Supporters of the order say it keeps the government from illegally censoring points of view.
The 5th Circuit granted a temporary pause on enforcement of the order on July 14, giving both sides time to file briefs and prepare for Thursday’s hearing. A panel of three judges was scheduled to hear arguments: Edith Brown Clement and Jennifer Walker Elrod, nominated to the court by former President George W. Bush; and Don Willett, nominated by former President Donald Trump.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter, and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win the lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Health and Human Services Department, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from “encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech.”
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty’s order posed a threat of “grave” public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation. And they said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration.
“The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content,” the administration said. “Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to ‘a series of public media statements.’”
In response, the attorneys general say in briefs that the order ended an “egregious campaign” by the administration that “fundamentally distorted online discourse in America on great social and political questions.”
The White House has said publicly it disagrees with the ruling but has said little about how and whether it has affected communication with social media companies so far.
veryGood! (4842)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Jimmy Buffett's new music isn't over yet: 3 songs out now, album due in November
- Neymar breaks Pele’s Brazil goal-scoring record in 5-1 win in South American World Cup qualifying
- Two men questioned in Lebanon at Turkey’s request over 2019 escape of former Nissan tycoon Ghosn
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Disgraced Louisiana priest Lawrence Hecker charged with sexual assault of teenage boy in 1975
- YouTuber Ruby Franke has first court hearing after being charged with 6 counts of aggravated child abuse
- IRS targets 1,600 millionaires who owe at least $250,000
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- NFL Notebook: How will partnership between Russell Wilson and Sean Payton work in Denver?
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Novak Djokovic steals Ben Shelton's phone celebration after defeating 20-year-old at US Open
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Wrote Letters Supporting Danny Masterson Ahead of Rape Case Sentencing
- Stassi Schroeder Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Beau Clark
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Affirmative action wars hit the workplace: Conservatives target 'woke' DEI programs
- YouTuber Ruby Franke has first court hearing after being charged with 6 counts of aggravated child abuse
- German intelligence employee and acquaintance charged with treason for passing secrets to Russia
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Former Olympic champion and college All-American win swim around Florida’s Alligator Reef Lighthouse
Ben Shelton's US Open run shows he is a star on the rise who just might change the game
Gunmen attack vehicles at border crossing into north Mexico, wounding 9, including some Americans
New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
Italy’s Meloni meets with China’s Li as Italy’s continued participation in ‘Belt and Road’ in doubt
In Aryna Sabalenka, Coco Gauff faces powerful, and complicated, opponent in US Open final
Residents and authorities in Somalia say airstrike caused several casualties including children