Current:Home > MySteve Buscemi is 'OK' after actor was attacked during walk in New York City -MacroWatch
Steve Buscemi is 'OK' after actor was attacked during walk in New York City
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:02:56
Steve Buscemi was the victim of an assault in New York City earlier this week, a representative for the actor has confirmed.
The "Boardwalk Empire" star was attacked during a walk in the Kips Bay neighborhood of NYC on Wednesday, Buscemi's publicist told USA TODAY in an email Sunday. Buscemi was punched in the face by an unidentified individual.
"Steve Buscemi was assaulted in midtown Manhattan, another victim of a random act of violence in the city," the representative said. "He is OK and appreciates everyone's well wishes, though incredibly sad for everyone that this has happened to while also walking the streets of (New York)."
Buscemi's assailant fled the scene and has yet to be apprehended by authorities, police told the New York Post. The actor was reportedly taken to the hospital following the attack and treated for "swelling to his face and left eye."
USA TODAY reached out to the New York City Police Department for comment.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
‘It’s still with me':Steve Buscemi talks trauma of volunteering at Ground Zero on 9/11
Steve Buscemi's co-star Michael Stuhlbarg also reportedly attacked in New York City
Michael Stuhlbarg, who starred with Buscemi on the HBO crime drama "Boardwalk Empire," was allegedly the victim of an assault in New York City in late March.
Police responded to an assault in progress on March 31 after a 55-year-old man was walking near 90th Street and East Drive when "he was struck in the head by an unknown object," the New York City Police Department confirmed in a statement to USA TODAY at the time.
Reports from CNN and The New York Times identified the victim as Stuhlbarg.
Michael Stuhlbarg assaulted:Actor attacked with a rock in New York City, performs on Broadway the next day
Authorities said a preliminary investigation determined that a 27-year-old man, identified as Xavier Israel, threw a rock at Stuhlbarg, which struck him in the back of the neck and caused an abrasion. The actor subsequently "chased" Israel to 9 East 91st Street, where officers took the alleged attacker into custody, according to police. Stuhlbarg "refused medical attention at the scene," police also said. Israel was charged with assault.
The incident occurred before Stuhlbarg was set to perform in the Broadway show "Patriots." The actor took the stage as planned on April 1, just one day after the assault occurred.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow, USA TODAY
veryGood! (7766)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Figures and Dobson trade jabs in testy debate, Here are the key takeaways
- Lake blames Gallego for border woes, he vows to protect abortion rights in Arizona Senate debate
- In Pacific Northwest, 2 toss-up US House races could determine control of narrowly divided Congress
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Biden tells Trump to ‘get a life, man’ and stop storm misinformation
- Hurricane Milton from start to finish: What made this storm stand out
- Hurricane Milton from start to finish: What made this storm stand out
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- TikToker Taylor Rousseau Grigg's Cause of Death Revealed
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Residents clean up and figure out what’s next after Milton
- Trump insults Detroit while campaigning in the city
- Stellantis, seeking to revive sales, makes some leadership changes
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- ¿Dónde tocó tierra el huracán Milton? Vea la trayectoria de la tormenta.
- Get Over to Athleta's Online Warehouse Sale for Chic Activewear up to 70% off, Finds Start at $12
- Authorities continue to investigate container suspected of holding dynamite in Tennessee
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Rihanna Shares Sweet Insight Into Holiday Traditions With A$AP Rocky and Their 2 Kids
Dr. Dre sued by former marriage counselor for harassment, homophobic threats: Reports
Andy Cohen Reacts to NYE Demands After Anderson Cooper Gets Hit by Hurricane Milton Debris
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Condemned inmate Richard Moore wants someone other than South Carolina’s governor to decide clemency
Lurking in Hurricane Milton's floodwaters: debris, bacteria and gators
The drownings of 2 Navy SEALs were preventable, military investigation finds