Current:Home > NewsVerizon says network disruption is resolved; FCC investigating outage -MacroWatch
Verizon says network disruption is resolved; FCC investigating outage
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 23:28:00
Verizon fully restored a network disruption that impacted thousands of customers in the U.S. on Monday, the company announced, hours after the Federal Communications Commission said it would investigate the network outage.
More than 100,000 outage reports were submitted to Downdetector, a website that tracks tech outages, earlier on Monday. By 8 p.m. ET, outages reduced to roughly 2,500 reports.
In a post on X, Verizon said that engineers resolved the disruption, and service has returned to "normal levels."
"If you are still having issues, we recommend restarting your device," the post read. "We know how much people rely on Verizon and apologize for any inconvenience."
FCC working to determine cause of outage
Earlier, the company said it was "aware" of the issue impacting customers. Verizon spokesperson Ilya Hemlin told USA TODAY earlier Monday that engineers were "working quickly to solve the issue."
The Federal Communications Commission announced that it was working to determine the cause and extent of the disruptions. T-Mobile and AT&T officials said their respective networks are working, CNET reported, and issues their users may have experienced could've resulted in trying to connect with a Verizon user without a working service.
Atlanta, Chicago, Phoenix, Omaha, Nebraska, and Washington D.C. were some of the cities with the most reports about service issues, according to Downdetector. Users took to social media to question the apparent service outage.
"Is @Verizon down for anyone else right now? My service disappeared at 10am and no amount of restarting or switching into + out of airplane mode is helping with the signal," one person posted on X Monday.
Sector rival AT&T faced nationwide wireless outages in February that lasted over 12 hours and impacted more than 70,000 customers. The FCC is also investigating the AT&T outage, which blocked more than 92 million voice calls and prevented more than 25,000 attempts to reach 911, the agency said.
News of the Verizon outage came hours after the company announced a deal to give infrastructure firm Vertical Bridge rights to lease, operate, and manage 6,339 mobile towers across the U.S. for $3.3 billion.
Read more about our digital world: Sign up for USA TODAY's Talking Tech newsletter.
This story has been updated to add new information.
Contributing: Minnah Arshad, USA TODAY; Reuters
Natalie Neysa Alund is a senior reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at [email protected] and follow her on X @nataliealund.
veryGood! (233)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Texas radio host’s lover sentenced to life for role in bilking listeners of millions
- Park Fire jeopardizing one of California’s most iconic species: ‘This species could blink out’
- Horoscopes Today, July 31, 2024
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- What’s next for Katie Ledecky? Another race and a relay as she goes for more records
- Elon Musk is quietly using your tweets to train his chatbot. Here’s how to opt out.
- Treat Yourself to These Luxury Beauty Products That Are Totally Worth the Splurge
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- I love being a mom. But JD Vance is horribly wrong about 'childless cat ladies.'
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Jax Taylor Shares Reason He Chose to Enter Treatment for Mental Health Struggles
- The Daily Money: Deal time at McDonald's
- Park Fire jeopardizing one of California’s most iconic species: ‘This species could blink out’
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Vermont gets respite from flood warnings as US senator pushes for disaster aid package
- Rob Lowe teases a 'St. Elmo's Fire' sequel: 'We've met with the studio'
- CarShield to pay $10M to settle deceptive advertising charges
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Milwaukee man gets 11 years for causing crash during a police chase which flipped over a school bus
US boxer trailed on Olympic judges' scorecards entering final round. How he advanced
Judge approves settlement in long-running lawsuit over US detention of Iraqi nationals
What to watch: O Jolie night
Medal predictions for track and field events at the 2024 Paris Olympics
What you need to know about raspberries – and yes, they're good for you
PHOTO COLLECTION: Tensions rise in Venezuela after Sunday’s presidential election - July 30, 2024